Saturday, June 16, 2012

Something a Man has to do


This morning I was on the wonderful "The Art of Manliness" website.  There's an article on there about driving across the country.  It talks about how driving across the country is something that a man has to do in order to broaden his horizons and know his place in the world.  It's a great read.

For me, this trip started out as me wanting to do stuff that I haven't done before.  After reading this article, I'm realizing this trip is also about developing as a person.

I've always believed in being a well-rounded person and someone that has interests in a variety of areas.  This does not mean that a well-rounded person has to like everything, but it does mean that I want to be exposed to different experiences and have some knowledge about a broad range of subjects.  I don't like opera, but I'm interested in why people enjoy it and can appreciate the art form.  It's just not for me.  And that's OK.  When I go to a restaurant I've been to before, the first thing I look at is the specials or the insert menu in hopes of trying something I've never had before.

New experiences change us.  Becoming exposed to different cultures changes us.  Experiencing nature's beauty and mankind's ingenuity can humble us.

I can't wait to experience America and be transformed into the man I will be after the trip.  I bet he's a hell of a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment