Monday, July 16, 2012

One Week To Go


The rental car has been booked.  Dates have been set.  Hotel reservations have been made.  Plane tickets have been purchased (for Melanie).  Friends and family around the nation have been contacted.  Dinners have been scheduled.

Two of my three summer classes are completed and the last one starts tomorrow morning and ends a week from tomorrow around lunchtime.  The rental car will be packed the night before and I will leave from that final class for Louisville, KY with an eye on being in New Orleans the following evening.

What am I looking forward to the most?  All the ballparks I'm going to see?  Reconnecting with old friends?  Seeing wonders I've never seen before like the Grand Canyon and Mount Rushmore?  Eating at restaurants I've only seen on the Food Network?  Driving along the Pacific Coast Highway with my wife?  Or kissing her on the Golden Gate Bridge? 

It's all that.  The whole package.  The experience.  It's doing something I've wanted to do since high school: drive across the country.  It's 8,000 miles of the best America has to offer.  It's the hope that I'll be a deeper person when I get back because of the cumulative richness of the experience.  It's having the stars align to have life present you with a dream opportunity and taking full advantage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment