Friday, August 17, 2012

Uecker


I left the football game at halftime because I had a two hour drive to Milwaukee after the game.  Since the Phillies were playing the Brewers, I searched for Bob Uecker on the radio.  At first, I found the Phillies broadcast team on 1210 am.  That was wierd.  Eventually, I found the Brewers broadcast complete with the one-man booth of Bob Uecker.

He is a gem.  At one point, he said, "This inning brought to you by Usinger Sausage."  He read the commercial spot and then just kept talking about Usinger sausage between the play-by-play.  At one point he said, "Anytime is a good time for grilling an Usinger sausage.  Maybe not now.  It's dark out.  I guess you could use the cigarette lighter and just eat it bite by bite."  Halarious.

We are losing the great old-time broadcasters one by one.  Jack Buck.  Ernie Harwell.  Harry Kalas.  Bob Uecker and Vin Scully are really the only legends of the booth left.  Both of them do the games without a broadcast partner.  If you get a chance on an internet broadcast, be sure to catch a game called by one of these national treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment